The Second Line Continues

Friday, November 11, 2005

A room of my own, part one

The Thursday before Katrina, we were watching a small storm heading towards Florida or Alabama. Things changed the next evening. Usually, when a storm is coming, we are constantly glued to the television, sometimes for days. However, none of us were worried about this one. Even on Friday afternoon, I heard one of my co-workers say, “Are you leaving for this one?” Another answered, “Nah, no big deal. It’ll be like all the others.”

I left work on Friday afternoon, and on the way to my house, I heard the weather guys on the radio, and they had a bit more concern in their voice. I spent that night in stage one of hurricane-prep mode, on the phone in front of the television.

T, my then-fiancé, came home that night, and I pestered him and bugged him about making a decision: should we stay or go? He was a little calmer than me, and told me that we would decide by 7:00 Saturday night.

The next morning, I woke up at my normal ungodly hour of 6:00. I snuck downstairs and turned on the TV, and immediately went and woke T. “7:00 is too late! Should I buy groceries? We can’t wait to get on the road. Traffic will be bad; we can’t find a hotel…..”

“Go back to bed, S. We aren’t making any decisions yet.”

I wasn’t satisfied with that, so I went to the grocery store to get my supplies, just in case we got stuck.

Good Louisiana shoppers are raised with a mental checklist of hurricane supplies: batteries, bottled water, flashlights, candles, canned goods, etc. In Sav-A-Center, I found that I was one of the early ones this time. Usually, about three days before we get word of a storm, all of these things sell out. But this time, it was strange. The store was quiet, and there were plenty of supplies. The only other hurricane preparer that I met was from Eden Isles. We spent a few minutes discussing the importance of the scent of the candles we were purchasing. It is important – no one wants a rank-smelling candle providing your only light for days on end when your air conditioner is broken. I hope she is OK.

More later…

2 Comments:

  • At 1:43 PM, Blogger lesbonstemps said…

    Good storytelling. I can't believe someone in Eden Isles would have tried to ride out the storm.

     
  • At 2:07 PM, Blogger N' Awlins Girl said…

    Sadly enough, there were many people in Eden Isles who rode out the storm. Crazy folks, them.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home